“Not having diabetes is a liberal plot? If you can see your shoes you hate America?”
Maher: “I think if the Democrats came out against eating yellow snow, Rick Perry would eat yellow snow.”
On the environment:
When Richard Nixon, yeah! created the EPA, both parties agreed that rivers shouldn’t catch on fire and the air shouldn’t make pigeons cough. But then Al Gore embraced it and now, when the EPA wants to reduce the level of arsenic in drinking water, you half expect to see Mitch McConnell making appearances with Archie the Arsenic Molecule.
You don’t have to make everything political. That’s like making all your decisions on what Jesus would do. Paper or plastic? Sometimes Jesus just doesn’t give a shit…
Matt Wuerker (04/21/2012) | via: randomactsofchaos
AND NOW EVERYTHING’S FUCKED! via: cognitivedissonance
The right has endlessly talked, mocked, lied about, discussed, and made great issue of President Obama’s religious beliefs, ancestry, race, and heritage.
Shouldn’t the Republican candidate for president be up to facing the same “scrutiny”?
From The Washington Post:
Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer (D) is causing a bit of a stir with his comment that Mitt Romney’s family came from a “polygamy commune.”
In an interview with the Daily Beast on Thursday, the outspoken governor suggested Romney could identify with Latinos better if he talked about his family’s roots in Mexico.
It’s “kinda ironic, given that his family came from a polygamy commune in Mexico, but then he’d have to talk about his family coming from a polygamy commune in Mexico, given the gender discrepancy,” Schweitzer said. (Schweitzer noted that women, in particular, object to polygamy, or the practice of having multiple wives.)
[...] The truth is that Romney should be able to draw on his personal history for ammunition to fight back on issues such as the Latino vote and his image as a fat-cat businessman. But in both cases, fighting back would require reminding people that he’s a Mormon.
In much the same way that Romney doesn’t talk much about his Mexican roots because of the polygamy connection (detailed here in a great story from last year by The Post’s Nick Miroff), he also rarely speaks of his record of charitable giving — in large part, it would seem, because the vast majority of the donations went to his church.
Romney has given more than $11 million to charity over the past 12 years, but 80 percent of it went to the Mormon Church, according to a recent Boston Globe report. So even if Romney wanted to talk about the $1.8 million that went to other causes, he would probably have to broach the Mormon issue — at least a little bit.
What if we request that Willard Romney educate us all a little better on his full family history and his religious faith: Mormonism — and by the same exacting standards and with all the careful insight, civility, and respect as was provided by the base of his own party to our current president.
In 2008, Romney calls Osama bin Ladin “Barack Obama” –
More from Romney:
- “Unfortunately, possibly because of the people the president hangs around with, and their agenda, their secular agenda – they have fought against religion,” Romney said. [Feb/2012]
- “I think there is in this country a war on religion. I think there is a desire to establish a religion in America known as secularism. … We are now all Catholics. Those of us who are people of faith recognize this is — an attack on one religion is an attack on all religion. It’s one more reason we need to get rid of Obamacare. It’s also one more reason we need to get rid of Obama.” [Romney, Apr/2012]
- Romney’s Message: Obama’s Not a Real American | David Corn – Romney doesn’t call Obama a commie. He doesn’t question his birthplace. He doesn’t say the president is a criminal. He doesn’t suggest he’s Muslim-y. He doesn’t declare that Obama hates America or harbors anti-American views. But Romney has welcomed the backing of those who make these types of claims, and he has even courted these over-the-top Obama foes (as he did with Nugent, after the gun-lovin’, aging rocker had violently threatened Obama and Hillary Clinton). He legitimizes and exploits those who engage in Obama hate-mongering and who debase the political discourse Romney claims to care about. More important, with his own words, Romney has attempted to reinforce the notion that Obama is not truly part of the nation he leads. He has mainstreamed the Obama-ain’t-really-American meme of the right. And that is hardly civil.
- At a 2008 rally in South Carolina Romney posed and held up this sign linking the two likely Democratic nominees, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, to 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. Romney responded that his critics needed to “lighten up slightly. There are a lot of jokes out there. I’m not responsible for all the signs I see.”
————————————WHAT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY STANDS FOR TODAY
CNN’S DANA LOESCH tells ‘foreigner’ MSNBC’s Martin Bashir to ‘go back to his own country’ – Yesterday, Bashir called former Massachusetts Governor and presumptive Republican candidate for president Mitt Romney a liar and said that by his own faith’s tenets, he’s going to hell for what he said about President Obama and the economy. That was apparently more than Loesch, a CNN contributor, erstwhile Andrew Breitbart protege and supporter of corpse desecration could stomach hearing about her party’s nominee. In a sputtering freakout rant from Thursday’s edition of “The Dana Show,” she called Bashir “an unintelligent hack” and “a foreigner” who isn’t qualified to cover U.S. politics. “I don’t want to hear a foreigner talking about media in this country, or politics in this country.” she said, “You don’t understand it.” She urged the award-winning journalist to go back to “his own country” and report on British politics and celebrities, “and be famous off of that.”
WOMEN ARE STUPID! AMIRITE? Presumptive GOP nominee MITT ROMNEY’s new foreign policy spokesperson RICHARD GRENELL has an odd penchant for targeting the wives of male politicians and women in general on Twitter. Grenell, who served as George W. Bush’s spokesperson at the UN and was announced as the Romney campaign’s new representative yesterday, has gone after Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Callista Gingrich, Sandra Fluke and others. He also asserted that President Obama’s children should be fair game for political debate. A selection of his thoughts on women… In another comment, that has since been removed, Grennell discussed the first lady “sweating on the East Room carpet.” This afternoon, Grennell offered an apology, of sorts, for his attacks, writing, “my tweets were written to be tongue-in-cheek and humorous but I can now see how they can also be hurtful. I didn’t mean them that way and will remove them from twitter. I apologize for any hurt they caused.” [New Romney Spokesman Used Twitter For Sexist Attacks]
MAKES YOU WONDER – HOW MUCH ROMNEY MONEY IS INVESTED IN A KEYSTONE PIPELINE ‘BLIND’ TRUST? Romney: I’ll build Keystone pipeline even ‘if I have to do it myself’ – Mitt Romney vowed Friday that, if elected president, he would build the controversial Keystone Pipeline linking oil deposits in Canada to refineries on the Texas gulf coast. “I will build that pipeline if I have to do it myself,” Romney said during a speech before state Republican Party leaders gathered at a retreat in Arizona. [...] Romney, who took the stage to a standing ovation, delivered essentially the same speech he has given for the last two days, attacking President Barack Obama on everything from his handling of the economy to his policies on energy, health care and education. “The president has failed,” Romney said. He took specific aim at the Democratic Party’s ties to labor unions, accusing Obama of putting union heads above the needs of the American people. “That’s where they get their money,” Romney said. “And that’s where they pay obedience.”
IF BY ‘ENTREPRENEURSHIP’ YOU MEAN ‘LOWER TAXES FOR BILLIONAIRES’ – Billionaire energy businessman William Koch, whose brothers finance an array of conservative political causes, directed another $1 million into a “super PAC” backing GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, according to new campaign finance records filed Friday. The donation to Restore Our Future was made through Huron Carbon, a subsidiary of Oxbow Carbon, a privately held coal and petroleum supplier that Koch founded and runs. The contribution means that Koch has steered at least $2 million to the super PAC: Last year, Oxbow Carbon gave $750,000 to Restore Our Future, while Koch personally gave the group $250,000. [...] “Bill Koch is becoming more engaged because he wants to see entrepreneurship in this country improve,” spokesman Brad Goldstein said Friday. “He has known Mitt Romney for more than three decades and believes Mitt Romney possesses the business skills needed to turn our economy around.” [latimes.com]
- Romney fundraising pace picks up
- Romney Trails Obama, Bush With Small-Dollar Donors – this should tell you who’d like to buy the White House.
PRESIDENT OBAMA / DEMOCRATS—————————————————————-
MAYBE OBAMA SHOULD HAVE PROMISED TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHY TOO? Obama Campaign Faces Dropoff in Big Donations – With big checks no longer flowing as quickly into his campaign, Mr. Obama is leaning harder on his grass-roots supporters, whose small contributions make up well over half of the money he raised through the end of March, according to reports filed Friday with the Federal Election Commission. And Mr. Obama is asking far more of those large donors still giving, exploiting his joint fund-raising arrangement with the Democratic National Committee to collect five-figure checks from individuals who have already given the maximum $5,000 contribution to his re-election campaign. “They clearly are feeling the pressure,” said one major Obama fund-raiser, who asked for anonymity to characterize his conversations with campaign officials. “They’re behind where they expected to be. You have to factor in $500 million-plus in Republican super PAC money.”
- March fundraising report shows Romney even more dependent on wealthy donors than Barack Obama and George W. Bush in 2004. [Buzzfeed Politics]
YET THE GOP IS OKAY WITH CONTINUING TO SUBSIDIZE BIG OIL, BIG FARMS, ETC: “In America, higher education cannot be a luxury; it’s an economic imperative that every family must be able to afford,” Obama said in his weekly address. “That’s why next week I’ll be visiting colleges across the country, talking to students about how we can make higher education more affordable – and what’s at stake right now if Congress doesn’t do something about it.” …”If Congress doesn’t act, on July 1 interest rates on some student loans will double,” Obama said. “Nearly seven and half million students will end up owing more on their loan payments.” The College Cost Reduction and Access Act, introduced in the Democrat-controlled Congress in 2007 and passed on bipartisan votes, halved the rate on federally subsidized Stafford loans to 3.4 percent. If Congress doesn’t act, the rate returns to 6.8 percent. Republicans contend keeping the low interest rate costs too much… [Obama: GOP needs to prevent doubling of student loan rates]
- IN FAIRNESS, it’s worth noting that Republicans have argued, accurately, that the lower rate would cost about $6 billion according to the Congressional Budget Office, and Democrats haven’t said much about how they’d pay for the extended rate freeze. Then again, House Republicans just passed an unnecessary tax cut bill with a $46 billion price tag, which they didn’t try to pay for, either. For GOP officials to say we can afford to add $46 billion to the deficit for a tax break, but we can’t afford $6 billion on student aid, is a problem. As for the president’s likely opponent, Mitt Romney has said he intends to dramatically scale back the federal role in helping students go to college. [Dems, GOP fight over student loan rates]
NEW AFL-CIO WEBSITE | EXECUTIVE PAYWATCH: Corporate Cash Hoarding Holds Back Job Creation – Since the Wall Street financial crisis, the largest U.S. non-financial corporations have amassed record levels of cash. But rather than investing these cash hoards to expand their operations and create jobs, many companies have shed workers in the United States. At the end of 2011, the largest non-financial companies in the S&P 500 Index had accumulated more than $1 trillion in cash, a historic high. Corporate cash was up 66 percent from the end of 2007, before the Wall Street financial crisis. This comes at a time when the U.S. unemployment rate has exceeded 8 percent and more than 12 million Americans are looking for jobs. While overall employment at S&P 500 Index companies has grown since 2007, cash stockpiles have grown even faster. Most of this job creation has been overseas. According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, the U.S. parents of multinational companies cut a total of 864,000 jobs between 1999 and 2009, while their foreign affiliates added 2.9 million jobs. Public companies are not required to disclose the percentage of their global workforce that is based in the United States. However, they must disclose the total number of employees, and a number of large companies have been cutting jobs while stockpiling cash.
I don’t even know.