Liars, phonies, cheats, and hypocrites — and that’s on a good day:
- Teaparty freshman Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) is arguing that the 2nd Amendment could be interpreted broadly enough to allow ordinary citizens access to the same equipment that the military uses.
- “Dear Patriot, You and I are literally surrounded. The gun-grabbers in the Senate are about to launch an all-out-assault on the Second Amendment. On your rights. On your freedom. Just the other night, President Obama urged them to act. And then he went one step further, spelling out the 23 different Executive Orders he will take to get your guns.” — Mitch McConnell in a fundraising email sent Jan. 22
- On Tuesday afternoon, the nation experienced its 49th school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999, when an altercation between two individuals set off at least five gunshots at Lone Star College in north Houston, Texas, injuring both parties and a nearby janitor caught in the crossfire. Now, top Republican lawmakers — including Gov. Rick Perry and Rep. Tim Poe — are using Tuesday’s incident to call for more weapons on campus.
- Speaking to fans during an NBC-sponsored gun show, Ted “Ol’ Shitty Pants” Nugent said that Obama “is attempting to re-implement the tyranny of King George that we escaped from in 1776,” adding: “If you want another Concord bridge, I’ve got some buddies.”
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), after having been a senator for three weeks, [said on "Meet the Press"]: “You know, there actually isn’t the so-called gun show loophole. That doesn’t exist.” And why not? Because as Cruz sees it, licensed firearm dealers are the ones conducting sales at gun shows, and these dealers already follow the law on background checks, so there’s no problem. Except, the senator is confused — as we’ve seen over and over again, background checks aren’t conducted at gun shows, and the loophole does exist.
- Rep. James Lankford (R-OK), the fifth-ranking House Republican, laid the blame for gun violence at the feet of an unusual suspect: the children of “welfare moms” who commit fraud.
- On Monday of last week, Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) announced that if President Barack Obama attempted to enact new gun violence prevention measures through executive order, he would have no choice but to file articles of impeachment. By Tuesday, he was comparing Obama to Saddam Hussein for using children as props at a speech introducing a gun control package. By Wednesday, he had stepped back from the precipice, asserting that “impeachment is not something to be taken lightly.” After all, where did anyone get that idea?
The Podpeople of Dumbfckistan
- A map that shows states where representatives voted on both Katrina and Sandy aid bills but changed their attitude on emergency relief (Katrina yes, Sandy no).
- The Virginia state Senate is split 20-20 between Republicans and Democrats. On Monday, while state Sen. Henry Marsh (D) — a 79-year-old civil rights veteran — was reportedly in Washington to attend President Obama’s second inaugural, GOP senators forced through a mid-term redistricting plan…
What’s the Washington Post say about it? BOTH SIDES DO IT: Shame on the witless Democrats for not anticipating that Republicans, given the chance, would resort to dirty tricks. And shame on Republicans for continuing their campaign to transform the General Assembly into a nasty, underhanded clone of Congress.
- Republican Party Chair Brent Kovac in Pennsylvania says that he doesn’t regret hanging at least three American flags upside down to protest President Barack Obama’s second inauguration because “our nation is in a horrible place.”
- Ohio State Board of Education President says she wasn’t comparing Obama to Hitler when she compared Obama to Hitler.
- Remember the priest who called 911 for help getting out of his handcuffs and mouth gag? Today that priest’s boss, Diocese of Springfield Bishop Thomas Paprocki (left), is telling the press that that there was “no sexual component” to the incident because the priest had been alone at the time… According to Paprocki, “self-bondage” was merely the priest’s way of alleviating the stress of his job. Earlier this month Paprocki appeared at the Illinois state house to testify against that state’s proposed same-sex marriage bill… In September, Paprocki posted a YouTube video in which he warned that Satan “will take the souls” of any Catholic who votes for a Democrat.
- Fox News’ resident psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow believes that President Barack Obama advocates “disempowering” people through gun safety legislation because he was “abandoned” as a child.
- Freshman Rep. Ann Wagner (R-MO) claims to be new to Capitol Hill: “I’m new. I was sworn in just three weeks ago as a member of the 113th Congress. I don’t know how they do things in Washington, DC.” But beginning in 2001, Wagner served as co-chair to the Republican National Committee for four years. She also served as the ambassador to Luxembourg for four years after that — a position that requires a presidential nomination and Senate confirmation.
- And, holy shit!