1) Obama fails at creating Kenyan socialist caliphate – Admit it. Just like the wingnuts claimed, you really wanted Obama to confiscate all guns (fail!), destroy capitalism (fail and fail!), you wanted him to raise taxes to record highs (fail!), and you thought his Detroit bailout would guarantee the demise of the American auto industry (fail!). And that wasn’t all! You expected Obama to surrender to the terrorists (fail!), stuff conservatives into FEMA concentration camps (fail!), create death panels (fail!) and impose Sharia law on all Americans (fail!). This is truly an administration that has failed… to live up to every right-wing paranoid fantasy.
2) The ‘massive investment’ Romney got from Congress -The facts are unambiguous: the 2002 Olympics were in deep trouble, following scandals and mismanagement. Romney took the reins, hired a legion of lobbyists, received record sums of taxpayer money by way of congressional earmarks, and used the federal bailout to get the games back on track. Indeed, it now appears he practically bragged about it on camera. Romney, a decade later, would have voters believe he used corporate know-how and his skills as a private-sector turnaround artist to rescue the Olympics. It’s awfully difficult to reconcile this version of events with what actually transpired, and it’s not unreasonable to ask Romney to explain the contradiction.
3) Jon Stewart: Virginia ultrasound law ‘a TSA pat-down inside your vagina’ - Noting that women are not required to actually view the ultrasound, Stewart said “Virginia could have forced you to watch the image like in the dystopian classic A Clockwork Orange.” “But instead, they are just going to be coming at you with a giant phallic object — like in A Clockwork Orange.” After playing a clip of Virginia Gov. Bob McConnell (R) saying that TSA pat-down infringed Americans’ civil liberties, Stewart explained that for women the bill McConnell was about to sign was “like a TSA pat-down inside their vagina.”
4) This is all they got? (part 1) Rove repeats a tired lie – Here was Rove on Fox News last night, telling Sean Hannity about President Obama giving a loan to Brazil. “The president gave a loan to Brazil. Brazil which is eating our lunch economically internationally, why do they need our money? They have plenty of their own. [Obama] gave them a loan and told them, as you’ve just alluded to, went down there and said we want to be your best customer.” This again? Are Republicans still pushing this bogus story? I remember writing an item setting the record straight in 2010, after having seen it debunked in 2009. [...] The loan was approved by appointees of — you guessed it — the Bush/Cheney administration.
5) This is all they got? (part 2) How Gingrich defines ‘barely’ – Newt Gingrich took an odd shot at President Obama’s national security record this morning, arguing that the administration’s foreign policy “has been so effective, they barely got a guy on Saturday who’s tried to blow up the U.S. Capitol.” “Barely”? It’s true that the FBI arrested a 29-year-old Moroccan man who hoped to execute a suicide bombing at the Capitol, but as Adam Serwer explained, Gingrich’s description of the developments is at odds with reality.
6) This is all they got? (part 3) The ‘anti-science’ side of the political divide – Rick Santorum charged on Monday that President Barack Obama and Democrats were “anti-science” because they refused to exploit the Earth’s natural resources to the limits of technology. [...] “It’s so funny that this party that criticizes the right for being anti-science, but when it comes to the management of the Earth, they are the anti-science ones!” the candidate declared. “We’re the ones who stand for science and technology and using the resources we have to make sure we have a quality of life in this country and maintain a good and stable environment.”
7) BREAKIN': Mitt Romney to unveil brand new tax cut plan for himself – Nothing says “desperate loser seeking seal of approval from right-wingers” than proposing yet another tax cut for the wealthy in a last minute Hail Mary: Team Romney tells me there will be a bolder tax-cut plan released either at the debate tomorrow night (if Mitt gets it in) or more formally at his Detroit Economic Club speech on Friday. I’m embargoed from releasing details until tomorrow. But I can say that the new plan will be across-the-board with supply-side incentives from rate reduction, and that it will help small-business owners as well as everyone else.
8) And it’s not the smokers! One reason American health care costs more: We’re fat and getting fatter - By 2020, the OECD predicts approximately 75 percent of Americans will be overweight or obese. [...] But one other reason that American health care is expensive likely has to do with the country’s health care status. Health policy research has borne this idea out: One recent study that compared health care costs for autoworkers across the country found 37 percent of spending variance was due to how sick or healthy workers were in each area. In Medicare, costs of caring for overweight and obese seniors is rising faster than for the general population. Incentives certainly matter in medicine, but so does the health care status of the population each system is treating.
9) Barack Obama Sings ‘Sweet Home Chicago’ With B.B. King & Mick Jagger - One little bit of Al Green and now everybody expects the president to sing America’s blues and soul classics. Well, why not? Thomas Jefferson loved to sing, and so did Richard Nixon. Look at old Mick Jagger hand the microphone to the president, after the R&B legends all insist the president take a verse of “Sweet Home Chicago.” Here’s a short version with just the Obama singing, for those who lack the attention spans to endure two minutes of fun: